Simple Living Today
A New American Dream
Simple living is gaining momentum in the United States. Thousands of Americans are turning away from the emptiness of materialism and toward voluntary simplicity. As responsible citizens, we are discovering that there is so much more to life than the pursuit of money. We are turning away from competition and toward community. We are looking for a New American Dream that is fulfilling and sustainable.
“It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.” – Henry David Thoreau
Over the course of our years together, Barbara and I have chosen simple living as a way to find happiness, financial stability, and meaning in our lives. The rewards of simplicity have far exceeded our expectations. The more we practice
the art of simplifying our lives, the more we enjoy living every day.
Our first steps toward a life of simplicity began more than twenty years ago when we left a stress-filled rat race dedicated to the accumulation of money and possessions and began to simplify our lives. For guidance, we turned to advocates of simplicity such as Wendell Berry, David Thoreau, Thich Nhat Hanh, Eckhart Tolle, Jon Kabat-Zinn, and many others for help. We read books on DIY (do-it-yourself) building, sustainable living, gentle spirituality, self-reliance, and homesteading. Since then our practice of voluntary simplicity has led us to our New American Dream.
As we share our experiences and the voices of the many authors and thinkers that led us to make a change, we hope you will find your own path to Simple Living and learn to enjoy each day in peace and joy.
"Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole
world belongs to you." – Lao Tzu
Each of these internal links offers tips, guides, suggestions, and examples for establishing a life that is simple and joyful.
- Living Simply with Barbara and David
- Our dream of living simply is homesteading a ten acre piece of Arizona desert. We invite you to share our version of the simplicity movement.
- Simple Living Today Blog
- The Simple Living Today Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the simple-living-today.com Web site.
- Dragoon Mountains Guesthouse
- Our Dragoon Mountains guesthouse offers you hiking, biking, or rock climbing in SE Arizona’s Sky Islands. Or relax and enjoy a cup of tea and a good book in solitude and silence.
- Contact Simple Living Today
- Contact us with questions, comments, or compliments.
- Voluntary Simplicity
- Voluntary simplicity is a means of taking control of your life. You can learn to reduce stress, eliminate debt, improve health, help fix the planet, and make living be an ethical political statement.
- Healthy Habits for a Healthy Body
- Healthy habits result in a healthy body, a healthy community, and a healthy planet. These simple practices leading to good health are available to everyone.
- Our Straw Bale House: DIY Home Building for Couples
- Our straw bale house guide offers tips on the building processes that resulted in our beautiful and debt-free DIY straw bale home. No contractors, no paid labor, no mortgage and under $30,000.
- The Bear Cave: Our Adobe House
- Our adobe house was our first DIY building. We chose adobe for a variety of reasons: natural building, low cost, amenability to DIY building, and being a part of indigenous building tradition.
- Simple Living Ideas
- Simple living ideas from modern and ancient writers and pioneers serve us as guides and mentors. We hope you share our enthusiasm for the inspirational and practical knowledge they offer.
- Easy Gardening for Simple Living
- Easy gardening techniques can enrich simple living. Whether urban gardening, container gardening, or in a large organic country garden, growing vegetables and fruit are great in so many ways.
- Urban Homesteading
- Urban homesteading offers you inexpensive, home-grown food and so much more. Learn container gardening, raised garden beds, backyard poultry, and urban composting.
- Mindful Eating - Healthy Body, Healthy Budget, Healthy Planet
- Mindful eating of simple foods is a path to a healthy body, a healthy budget, and a healthy planet. We offer information on nutrition, great low-cost eating, and sustainable food consumption.
“You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need.” – Vernon Howard